Big 29 List
Yesterday, August 28th, was my birthday. I have a little tradition that I always do on my birthday. Each year I make a list of one thing I want to do or accomplish for each year. It gives me something to think about and reflect on – instead of getting sad. Some of them are silly, some serious. I like looking back at the previous year and seeing what I actually did. So, here is my big 29 list:
1.Sketchbook Explorations – I want to use my sketchbook this year to grow as an artist. Sometimes I feel like I fall back on what I already know and am good at rather than trying new things and ideas. Not this year. This year is for exploration and experimentation.
2. Learn a new sport – In high school, I took dance lessons. Most of my nights were filled with late night rehearsals, plies, and sutanus. Because of being busy with dance, I didn’t play any sports. This year I would like to learn to play a 2 person sport – like tennis or racket ball. Maybe rock climbing?
3. The spiritual discipline of gardening – This last year was my best gardening year ever. But, to be honest, taking care of plants is not my strength. I really love growing things, but my personality likes novelty – not consistency. So, usually when August (or July) rolls around, my garden that was so lovely in May, dies from lack of tending. As a person, I want to be better at taking care of my gardens. I want to be a more consistent reliable person.
4. Screen Print Something – the lovely Amanda Ploesgsma taught be how to screen print last month. Now I want to make something awesome.
5. Take better care of my Feet – with two girls who have me wrapped around their tiny sticky fingers, I am not very good at taking care of myself – showers, make-up, and cute clothes are sometimes left by the wayside. So, this year I am going to say hello to my toes! I figure I should start somewhere.
6. I want to hang a hammock or swing in our backyard
7. Write/Sing/Record a Song – I like to always put something on the list that scares me
8. Create the “Embrace” art series I have been planning for (with documentary?)
9.Film a mini art movie – amelie tiny pleasures video? – I like to list something that will stretch me creatively
10. Paint our bedroom
11. Try Vietnamese coffee – I have heard it is delightful
12. Keep my book club going strong
13. Have a blast leading Art club at Frontier – I want it to be fun, not a burden
14. Make a paper boat -why not?
15. Add compost and mulch to the rest of the back garden – got the front done! Now onto the back!
16. Work up a song on the piano – now what song…? Moonlight sonata? Life is Beautiful song?
17. Illustrate a children’s book (one is already in the works!)
18. Learn how to pull a shot of espresso and make a fancy coffee drink
19. Weave a paper basket – my dad did a lot of basket weaving. I would love to continue the art in a small way.
20. Start a tiny collection of some sort -feathers?
21. Organize my house more like I organize my classroom – where everything has a place.
22. Get backyard chickens?
23. Learn how to wire a light – why not learn some electrician skills? I feel like I could do some really cool things with this in my artwork. Just need to find someone to teach me …
24. Build a sculpture (large?)
25. Eat at Beatrice and Woodsly & City O City in Denver
26. Apply and get into the Smoky Hills River Festival in Kansas
27. Read a classic (I always put this one on my list.) – maybe Our Town?
28. Go camping – this one has been on my list for at least the last 3 years and it has yet to happen. Hmmmm… maybe it would help if we had some camping gear. And were more into camping…
29. Remember birthdays better and send more care packages.
Thanks for reading! Now off to paint my toenails…